Wow, our posts crossed in the mail and you suggested the same approach that
I discovered independently!
(Great minds think alike, right?)
I'm working remotely, the server is many states away, and I don't have a
local developement environment. I'm modifying the actual working site,
though I try to develop new modules in segregated files and rename the or
cut and paste the changes into the live files. I don't have the resources
to create a local development.

As I've said, I'm using phpMyAdmin with a browser working remotely.

I'll see if the query works without the renaming modification after I build
some php code to use it. I'm curious about why the front-end can introduce
this problem. The query should be the same. The results from mysql should
be the same. The display of the results, I can sort of understand, but why
just the one column? I wonder what other surprises phpMyAdmin has in store
for me. (I'll be using a lot of queries that self-reference the same table:
"Places" where a record could be for a town, that belongs to another record
for a county, that belongs to another record for a state, etc..)

Thanks for the assistance!

James

---snip---