I installed the binary of mysql 3.23.39 with the following steps and it
started fine

 ln -s mysql-VERSION-OS mysql
 cd mysql
 scripts/mysql_install_db
 chown -R root  /usr/local/mysql
 chown -R mysql /usr/local/mysql/data
 chgrp -R mysql /usr/local/mysql
 chown -R root /usr/local/mysql/bin
 bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql &

Then I tried to set a password for the MYSQL root user and I get the
following error.

./bin/mysqladmin -u root -p password 'christ1'
Enter password: *******

./bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: YES)

ALSO TRIED
# ./bin/mysqladmin -u root -h dallas.isu.edu -p password 'christ1'
Enter password: *******
./bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'dallas.isu.edu' failed
error: 'Host 'dallas.isu.edu' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL
server

ANY SOLUTIONS?

Kory Wheatley