If the client closes the connection grace fully (using the MySQL
handshaking to close the connection), then it will be cleaned up.  If the
client severed the connection w/o performing the close handshake (say,
if it closed the socket, or simply exited, which also closes the socket),
then it won't be cleaned up.  If it can be determined these connections
really aren't in use, they can be KILL'd at the server.

james montebello