I'm trying to change the root password for mysql.  This is the first time
I've tried to change the password and I can't get it to work.  Below is the
error message I get:

[root@localhost bin]# ./mysqladmin -u root -p password 'new-password'
Enter password:
./mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: YES)'

I've looked at the manual and it doesn't say much that I've already done.
I've also looked up the --skip-grant-tables but the only mysqld file I have
to run is in the /etc/rc.d/init.d/ directory and it doesn't take
the --skip-grant-tables flag.  So I'm at a lost at what to do next.

thanks.