When I try to use MySQL 3.23.38 on my RH7.0 Alpha system, the only way I can
create and access tables is as a root user. BUT --- I don't need to be
logged in as root to become root user, it will let anyone be root with the
command: mysql -u root

I tried granting permissions for users, but it makes no difference.

I tried putting passwords on the grant statements, but I can't log in as a
different user using a password -- it never authenticates. And as any other
user than root it won't let me access any tables.

Am I doing something wrong, is it configured wrong, or is it a problem with
the particular RH7.0/Alpha/MySQL distribution? I admit I'm a MySQL newbie.

John Dudeck
Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                        Tel: 704-588-9891
Work: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                              Tel: 704-588-4300
--
"Some of the things you learn don't jump right out at you. You have to
 think about them awhile." -- Norm Ducharme