I have a bit more info. The only thing I could think of that could
create a constraint problem was that the two columns being grouped on
have some data in common.

ie., there could be two records like this:

src          dst
===          ===
9.9.9.9      aaa
bbb          9.9.9.9

>From my limited knowledge with SQL, that shouldn't cause a problem when
grouping by both columns should it?

To test it, I modified the query to be:

select concat("s",src) as Source, concat("d", dst) as Destination,
count(*) as Drops
from data
where (action in ('drop', 'reject'))
group by Source, Destination
;

And it worked, as now the above sample becomes:

Source       Destination
"s9.9.9.9"   "daaa"
"sbbb"       "d9.9.9.9"

Is this a feature or a bug?