Dear Gurus,

Yesterday I changed the ownership of /var/lib/mysql to
user mysql
chown -R mysql /var/lib/mysql

Then I started the mysql server with command
/usr/bin/safe_mysqld --skip-grant-tables
The daemon started without crashing immediately.

I then could get into mysql prompt

As per manual it stys that GRANT command is not
recognised but I then did mysqladmin reload and then
restarted the server in user mysql.
I then went to prompt mysql and gave grant all to
root(I mean root of MySQL) and did FLUSH
PRIVILEGES(Both SQL command were successfull)

Now one step I missed from manual before running
mysqladmin reload was to run mannually SQL scripts
from mysql_install_db.

I want to know whay I need to run scripts which are
creating system tables in this script or is it that I
need to run only sqls which are insert values.

When I give command mysql -u root -p and then give the
password (correctly)it gives me following error:
Access Denied for user 'root@localhost' (Using
password:YES)

Am I following the steps wrongly?

Should I uninstall the MySQL and also delete the
datadir and then again install mysql package in
Slack8?

Regards,

Prasad

--- Prasad Paranjape <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I also noticed one thing , will the entry in the
> file
> /etc/hosts make a diffrenece.
>
> In Red Hat it is
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
>
> But in Slack it is
> 127.0.0.1 prasad( which is my name)
>
> Regards,
>
> Prasad
> --- Prasad Paranjape <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > Hello gurus,
> >
> > I have Slackware 8.0 and RHL7.1 both on my Linux
> > box.
> > In Red Hat mysql is working smoothly but I am
> having
> > having following problems in Slack8
> > In Slack8 mysql is installed as a per of standard
> > installtion but not under /usr/local.The scripts
> are
> > in /usr/bin and includes in /usr/include/mysql and
> > libs in /usr/lib/mysql etc..
> > I could see that there is a group mysql and user
> > mysql
> > added to it.
> > I could not loacte mention of mysqld in any of the
> > rc
> > scripts.when as root I give command
> > /usr/bin/safe_mysqld &
> > It gives me following messages:
> > Starting mysqld daemon with databases from
> > /var/lib/mysql and on the next line it says
> > mysqld ended.
> >
> > Also when as user mysql I give command
> > mysql -u mysql -p it prompts for the password but
> > after giving the password it gives error:
> > can't connect to loacl mysql server through socket
> > /var/run/mysql/mysql.sock
> >
> > I also copied the file /etc/my-small.cnf to
> > ~mysql/.my.cnf (This is as per documentation in
> > my-small.cnf)
> >
> > Still I am not able to log on to the database.
> >
> > I am not able to understand why mysqld is
> ending.Is
> > there any other thing I am missing which would
> start
> > this daemon and then I can connect to database.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Prasad

> > http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Trouble unsubscribing? Try:

> Get email alerts & NEW webcam video instant
> messaging with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>