On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Henning Sprang wrote:
> >>... I just realized that Mysql simply "cuts"  Data i want to insert
> >>into a field when it is too long, without giving any warning or error
> >>message. . .
> > If the field has fixed length that is standard behaviour (together with
> > right-padding too short values with spaces).
> Yes, I know, this is standart, dosumented behaviour, but i just cannot
> imagine _why_ and asked therfore...

So your field is of fixed length type (you hadn't told us that yet).

As to the rationale, I don't think SQL has one. I would guess it was
simplicity (of the definition of SQL), not withstanding the fact that SQL
is spuriously complicated in other things.

Cheers,

--
   ,
 M A R I O   data miner, LIACC, room 221   tel 351+226078830, ext 121