John,

I had already updated the online manual at http://www.innodb.com. It warns
now about the 2 GB limit on memory usage in Linux x86.

InnoDB does not use the record_buffer of MySQL at all. But sort_buffer is
used.

I think the danger lies in server overload: many ORDER BY queries may get
stuck in the 'sorting data' phase which will raise memory usage to 2 GB.

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
---
InnoDB - transactions, row level locking, and foreign key support for MySQL
See http://www.innodb.com, download MySQL-Max from http://www.mysql.com