I am running two different servers, one with the tarball distro and the
other with an rpm.  Both are on Redhat 7.1.  Upon executing mysql.server or
safe_mysqld the console executes the command but does not return to a
prompt.  I can change to another console and see the server started ok.  I
can log on etc.  However, it locks the console I execute it on every time.
This causes a problem when booting, as I run these commands from rc.local
and it stops the boot process there.  Using the built in script from the rpm
that gets installed into init.d is not an option in these particular cases
(long story) so I'm hoping to find out what I can do to get the prompt back.

Larry S. Brown
President/CEO
Dimension Networks, Inc.
Member ICCA