I just install MySQL on my FreeBSD 4.4 box using pkg_add -r mysql-host.
When it finished, it prompted with the info below. It is prompting me to do
a new password so I type in:
/usr/local/bin/mysqladmin -u root -p password 'passwordhere'
and it prompts me for a password. I repeat the password 'passwordhere' and I
get back to the command line.

Now, if I do a:

/usr/local/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h PerlDesk -p password 'new-password'

It comes back with the following error:

PerlDesk# /usr/local/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h MySERVER -p password
'passwordhere'
Enter password:
/usr/local/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'MySERVER' failed
error: 'Host 'MySERVER.DOMAIN.net' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL
server'

Why do I get this error?

Thanks

-Allen May

Preparing columns_priv table
Installing all prepared tables
020118 12:25:43  /usr/local/libexec/mysqld: Shutdown Complete

PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !
This is done with:

/usr/local/bin/mysqladmin -u root -p password 'new-password'
/usr/local/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h MySERVER -p password 'new-password'

See the manual for more instructions.

You can start the MySQL daemon with:
cd /usr/local ; /usr/local/bin/safe_mysqld &

You can test the MySQL daemon with the benchmarks in the 'sql-bench'
directory:
cd sql-bench ; run-all-tests

Please report any problems with the /usr/local/bin/mysqlbug script!

The latest information about MySQL is available on the web at
http://www.mysql.com
Support MySQL by buying support/licenses at https://order.mysql.com

mysql:*:1001:
You already have a group "mysql", so I will use it.
mysql::1000:1001::0:0:mysql:/home/mysql:/nonexistent
You already have a user "mysql", so I will use it.