Hi list,

I have 2 servers 1 running redhat 7.2 and the other running suse 7.3.
the hardware config is :

RH7.2: Fast desktop (IDE HDD/128 MB memory PIII 550 MHz).
Suse 7.3: Low end server (Ultra SCSI 2, PIII 850 MHz, 256 MB RAM).

Now i expect to see the suse server go faster than RH, but i am
having the reverse happening. The RH server returns a query about
5 times faster.

For eg:
on RH:
mysql> select straight_join docm.document_id, docm.document_title,
docm.document_date, sources.source_name, cliptypes.cliptype, byline.byline
from keywords, documents_7 as docm use index (PRIMARY), dockeys_7 as dock,
sources, cliptypes, byline where keywords.keyword_id=dock.keyword_id and
docm.document_id=dock.document_id and docm.document_source_id =
sources.source_id and docm.document_cliptype_id = cliptypes.cliptype_id and
docm.document_byline_id = byline.byline_id and ( keywords.keyword="assam" )
order by docm.document_id;

 <Lots of results>

|      219401 | WRONG POLICIES ARE THE BANE OF ASSAM
| 2000-08-21    | THE HINDUSTAN TIMES (DELHI)                    | N. A.    |
PARASHAR, UTPAL        |
+-------------+--------------------------------------------------------------+---------------+------------------------------------------------+----------+------------------------+
276 rows in set (2.78 sec)

same query on suse:

 <Lots of results>

|      219401 | WRONG POLICIES ARE THE BANE OF ASSAM
| 2000-08-21    | THE HINDUSTAN TIMES (DELHI)                    | N. A.    |
PARASHAR, UTPAL        |
+-------------+--------------------------------------------------------------+---------------+------------------------------------------------+----------+------------------------+
276 rows in set (7.06 sec)

This happens for all queries.
Of course the data is the same on both systems. The mysqld is what comes
with the distrib. (RH - mysql-3.23.22-6 / Suse - mysql-3.23.41-17).
I did try to use the official binaries from mysql.com but, i get the same
results on both systems.
I will probably install Redhat on the suse system, but can anyone
think of why this happens and what can i do to improve the response.
As of now the rowcount for the largest table is 221165.
Has anyone else noticed similar results?

Thanks for any replies

Jatin