James,

JR>         We have a RaQ4i 400MHz server with 512MB of RAM running PHP4.03p1
JR> and MySQL 3.23.43 if memory serves correctly.

JR>         We are looking at bringing on a client who uses 1 MySQL database
JR> and PHP to host a news site similar to Slashdot, the OpenSource app he
JR> uses is called GeekLog, if anyone has heard of it.

JR>         He gets about 5000 unique visitors a day and about 100000 page
JR> views per day.

JR>         My question is - what is the opinion that our server can handle
JR> this site. In mind and experience there should be no problem with a site
JR> as this.

You should tell us more about the load that your scripting software
generates on MySQL server and on the system in general. We at Ensita
use a couple of Cobalt RaQ that work under a similar load,
MySQL is used heavily and they perform perfectly.

Generaly, I can presume that 100,000 views per day (using MySQL)
should run perfectly on that hardware.

--
For technical support contracts, goto https://order.mysql.com/
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Egor Egorov