Hy all,
i am just trying to tunnel a mysql client connection via ssh.
i am behind a firewall that doesn't let mysql connections through to the
outer world.

But i can do ssh to the host i want connect to. Tunneling http port 80
with the command

ssh [EMAIL PROTECTED] -L 80000:localhost:80

gives me access to the http port of the remote machine via port 80000 on
my local machine.

so fra , so good. Then doing

# ssh [EMAIL PROTECTED] -L 80000:localhost:3306

and connecting to port 80000 on my machine with telnet gives me
something like

Trying ::1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
,
3.23.47-log$jhbjhb%kj

which i suppose is a prompt from the remote mysql service

but then trying to connect to that port with the mysql client i get:

# mysql -u username -p -h my.local.hostname -P 80000
Enter password:
ERROR 2003: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'my.local.hostname' (111)

could it be that the mysql client does some extra checks, so maybe the
server sends his real hostname or ip address in binary form (thats the
signs at the end of the telnet prompt?) and the client realizes that he
is not connected to that machine, but to another and breaks up?
can i, if this is so, disable that check?

I saw some information which said that forwarding mysql connections is
possible, but cannot get this to work properly.

TIA,
henning