Goodday, I have been able to successfully install
Apache, Php and, MySQL in windows environment. But now i want to do the same in linux,
I'm using slackware8, and I installed apache, and php first I tested it and it run
fine, then i started to install mysql package, the one included in my
slackware cd.

I installed it by...

#installpkg mysql.tgz

and it comleted without any errors and warnings. But when i tried to run
# mysql
or
#safe_mysqld

I get this message...

ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/run/mysql/mysql.sock' (111)

then when i check my "/var/lib/mysql/myhostname.err" is see the
following:

020119 16:26:30 mysqld started
/usr/libexec/mysqld Ver 3.23.39 for slackware-linux-gnu on i386
wait_timeout current value: 28800
020119 16:26:30 mysqld ended

020119 16:26:46 mysqld started
020119 16:26:46 /usr/libexec/mysqld: Can't find file: './mysql/host.frm'
(errno: 13)
020119 16:26:46 mysqld ended

what could be the problem? are there other packages that i need to
insatll aside from the mysql.tgz. Please help!!!

I have also installed and run mysql in SuSE7.1 but we want to use slackware8.

Thanx in advance!!!

-soujiro