[ filter fodder: mysql database - is this case-sensitive?]

Erv Young wrote:

> It seems to me that if AOL Time Warner had not only Netscape, but also
> the whole Linux-Apach-MySQL-PHP brigade in their hands, they would
> indeed have a powerful armamentarium for challenging Microsoft.
>
> I am not currently a Linux or MySQL user.

Quite obviously.

What do you mean by "have" Linux in the same sentence as "have" Netscape?
Do you mean "if AOLTW *owned* Linux, Apache, MySQL, etc."?

Look - they already "have" Apache, Linux, Tomcat, MySQL, PHP, PostgreSQL,
Emacs, the entire GNU project, and just about anything else you can
imagine, and have had it for years. All the components for the foundations
of a .NET-competitor, if they want to make one.

As much as any of *us* "have" all of these. These components are free to
use and redistribute, and AOL is free to add value to these and
redistribute them according to the terms of their licenses. Like RedHat is
currently doing.

The only reason AOL *might* be interested in RedHat (after all, this is not
official yet) is the *experience* that RedHat brings with them in putting
together and supporting commercial Linux distributions.

Not Linux itself.

Maybe in regards to MySQL itself - AOL *may* perhaps someday be interested
in a commercial DB offering, and might want to buy MySQL. But why? RedHat
already has a commercial pgsql-based database product ("Red Hat Database").

--
Shankar.