Hello Markus,
ML> Hi all!

ML> I've got quite a strange problem. Got to work today, was about to
ML> continue my work on a database, and tried to log in with user
ML> "varlehti", which is  a user that's got  SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE,
ML> and DELETE -privileges. I got an Access denied -error, and
ML> I'm sure I typed the password right. No, caps lock isn't on : )
ML> I logged in with root, typed in my root-password and that worked fine.
ML> Used SELECT * FROM user; and lo and behold! The varlehti-users' privileges
ML> were gone!

ML> host was %, user was varlehti, and everything  else was "N".

ML> Tried to use GRANT SELECT,INSERT,UPDATE,DELETE ON database.*
ML> TO varlehti@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'password'
ML> and FLUSH PRIVILEGES.
ML> Nothing happened.

Records in the table 'user' indicates user's global privileges.
To examine user privileges on database.* look into mysql.db.

Take a look at http://www.mysql.com/doc/P/r/Privileges.html

ML> Tried to manually insert Y into the privilege columns.
ML> Got them there, still Access denied.
ML> So, I deleted the varlehti-user and tried to GRANT the privileges again.
ML> FLUSH PRIVILEGES.

ML> The user appeared in the user-table, but all privileges were N.
ML> Tried again with INSERT INTO. Got everything added, flushed privileges
ML> and tables and just about everything else.
ML> Access denied.

When you specify '%', you make it also to accept connections through TCP/IP. If you
connect from the same box you will see "access denied". Have a short look at:
http://www.mysql.com/doc/A/c/Access_denied.html

--
For technical support contracts, goto https://order.mysql.com/
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Victoria Reznichenko