On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 03:44:07PM -0800, Bruce Sandell wrote:

> Is the index for a hash table stored on disk or in memory?

You mean for HEAP tables, which used hashed indexes?

> I have a hash table that I am constantly adding data to, which means
> the index is constantly being updated.  If I keep the size of the
> key buffer sufficiently large, will the new index values be there
> upon creation, or not until they are read from disk?  I would like
> to avoid having to read from the disk for every query that uses an

HEAP tables don't use MySQL's key buffer for anything.  There's no
extra data to store.  If MySQL needs to find out if a value is there,
it simply hashes the value and checks for the hashed value.

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Technical Yahoo - Yahoo Finance

MySQL 3.23.41-max: up 23 days, processed 525,472,042 queries (264/sec. avg)