I've read the document `Installing a MySQL Binary Distribution' that
comes with each Unix binary distribution, and the MySQL manual
(http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/full/), and the DynamicFAQ under
`Installation'
(http://swfaq.mysql.com/sw/bin/17/supportwizard.cgi/07375836),
but have found no *explicit* statement that it is possible to install a
binary installation elsewhere than in /usr/local/mysql. Some sentences
in the `Installing ...' document *imply* that it *is* possible: "1. Pick
the directory under which you want to unpack the distribution, and move
into it. In the example below, we unpack the distribution under
'/usr/local' and create a directory '/usr/local/mysql into which MySQL
is installed"; and: "8. If you would like to use 'mysqlaccess' and have
the MySQL distribution in some non-standard place, you must change the
location where 'mysqlaccess' expects to find the 'mysql' client. Edit
the 'bin/mysqlaccess' script at approximately line 18.".

I'd like to see an explicit statement that it is possible to install a
binary distribution of MySQL in some non-standard place, or not, as the
case might be. If it *is* possible, I'd like to see full instructions
for doing this.

The reason for my uncertainty is that I can see that the script
bin/safe_mysqld is full of '/usr/local/mysql' directory paths. Either
(1) it is only possible to install a binary distribution in some
non-standard place only if a symbolic link '/usr/local/mysql' exists to
that place, or (2) there is some not-fully-explained procedure for
installing MySQL in a non-standard-place, or (3) it is only possible to
install MySQL in a non-standard-place when built from source.

My guess is that only (1) and (3) are right. Am I correct? I'd like (2)
to be possible. If so, are there instructions for doing that?
--

John A. Murdie
Experimental Officer (Software)