I compiled mysql 3.23.47 from source and still can't shutdown the daemon
with a "mysql.server stop" or a simple kill command. Only way to stop it is
with a kill -9. I previously installed the precompiled binary and had the
same problem. I guess this isn't fully fixed with the .45 version as was
posted, though it appears that some of you are not having the problem
anymore.

So how much potential damage am I doing with a sure kill?

I'm running OS X 10.1.2 on an iBook 600.

--
John McCauley
CTGi