I am trying to install MySQL on a Mac OS X server (v 10.1).  I have followed
the instructions in the online documentation, but I am having 2 problems.
Any advice on the problems or on where to get more information is greatly
appreciated.

1.  I got mysql installed and running (using ./bin/safe_mysqld --user=root &
when inside the /usr/local/mysql directory).  I was able to view the
databases, create a new database, etc.  Then I had to restart the server,
and when I go back in to the same directory and type the same command, I get
the message "Starting mysqld with databases from ... " (same as earlier,
this is good) and then immediately a message that mysql has closed.  Why is
this happening and how do I get the mysql server to *stay* running?

2.  While I had mysqld running, I created a database and then granted a user
all privileges on it with a password using GRANT.  However, this user could
not log in to mysql; access was denied.  I can see in the db table that this
user has privileges on the database I created for it; how do I give it
privileges to log in?

Thanks again very much for your help.  I am new to MySQL, so I don't know
where to look for what is causing these problems.

Christine Jones