On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 08:33:46PM -0600, Paul DuBois wrote:
> At 13:34 +0100 1/29/02, Pedro Alvarez-Tabio wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I'm developing an application with MySQL using the C API. I would like
> >to implement a mechanism to prepare some queries in advance and just
> >bind the parameters before execution. I have found in the documentation
> >a way to do that using the DBI Interface but not for C API. Is it
> >possible to prepare statements for execution in an application built
> >with the C API?
>
> No.  That also means you can't do it with DBI, because the DBI MySQL
> driver is built on top of the C API.  (DBI supports the syntax, but
> MySQL doesn't take advantage of it, in the sense that it doesn't
> store query plans that can be reused when you prepare a statement.)
>
> The work on the MySQL 4.x query cache that's going on now may change this
> picture, but from my understanding of the cache, it's the *final* form
> of the query that is cached, not its form before data values are bound
> to the placeholders.  (Someone correct me if that's incorrect.)

I think the further problem is that the MySQL protocol doesn't have
any way to specify that.  I recall some discussion on the internals
list a month or so ago about extending the protocol to make that sort
of stuff easier to do.

Yeah, in fact, I even remember asking how that would interact with the
query cache.

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Technical Yahoo - Yahoo Finance

MySQL 3.23.41-max: up 27 days, processed 591,117,757 queries (252/sec. avg)