Paul,

>Okay, then try adding the --user=mysql option to the command.

I killed the server (kill -9) and brought it back up with -Sg --user=mysql:

The result:
[localhost:/usr/local/mysql] root# /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld -Sg
--user=mysql
---> Here came some hints
Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innidb_data_file_path' is not set.
If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
skip-innodb
to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.conf
or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add for example,
innodb_data_file_path = /mysql/data/ibdata1:20M
But to get good performance ....
--->end hint and this line
/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld: ready for connections

This looks nice I think

but then I made this mistake:
I copy and pasted 2 lines to the terminal (instead of writing them)
and had the cursor in the 3rd line. I tried to escape without success.

---> My page looks like this:
/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld: ready for connections
UPDATE user SET Password=PASSWORD('new-password')
WHERE User='root' AND Host='localhost';

exit
exit;
quit;
stop;
mysqld test;
  <-- here is the cursor

---> end of my page

1)How can I escape?
2) would it have been ok if I had used following line at this point?
UPDATE user SET Password=PASSWORD('myNewPassword') WHERE User='root' AND
Host='localhost';