Hi.

I have a question regarding loading data from text files into tables using the LOAD
DATA statement.
I tried this under Win98 without success. Basically, I have a file called create.tbl
which has
CREATE TABLE statements. The last statements in this file are of the form:

LOAD DATA INFILE "file.dat" REPLACE INTO TABLE tbl_name;

Then I ran, mysql <create.tbl at the DOS prompt. Although it gave no errors, the
tables were filled
with NULL values (other than the NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT fields). I tried this with
just one simple
table to start with - it is defined as:

CREATE TABLE tbl_name (pid MEDIUMINT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, name VARCHAR(50),
PRIMARY KEY (pid));

In the file.dat data file, I only put in 2 rows with one column (the name). I didn't
put a column
with numbers because it's defined as AUTO_INCREMENT, so I figure the DBMS will take
care of creating
it properly. The result is that I do have two pids (1 and 2) but the name field in the
table is
NULL.

I tried putting the name values in the file.dat file without quotes and also with
single and double
quotes, but to no avail. I also put the data file in my current directory, in the data
directory and
in the database directory, but all gave the same result. In addition, everytime I ran
mysql <
create.tbl, the table kept growing - so, instead of only having 2 entries in it, I now
have about 20
or so, where the first id field numbers from 1 to 20 and the other field is all null.

Any ideas? Must I put a consecutive number field in the data file anyway as the first
column?

Thanks,

Eurico