From: P.Agenbag [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2002 1:36 PM
To: mysql
Subject: SQL help plz

Hi
I need help with an sql string:

have a table similar to this:

id        key        name        date
1         123        name1      date1
2         123        name1      date2
3         111        name2      date1
4         111        name2      date2
5         123        name1      date3
Now, I need sql to report the following result:

name1       date3
name2       date2

thus, report all the names in the table but only the ones with the
latest date.

The sql MUST use the key to compare the different rows with each other
and NOT the name, as the name is prone to spelling errors (ok, the key
as well, but it's easier to make a typo with letters than with digits
and I already have a couple of entries where the names of the entries
are different.