Has anyone had the following problem or anything related to this ?

I've had some problems where my data gets "deleted" after I add or drop a
column.

The scenario is as follows.
1)mysql daemon is running.
2)make a structure change to table/add or drop column
3)stop and restart mysql daemon
4)look at table , the data is gone.
5)stop and restart mysql daemon
6)look at table, the data is back.

I'm also running safe_mysqld as recommended.  Is there some sequence of
events that must happen for a proper shutdown and restart of the mysql
daemon ?
Or is there some process I need to do before I call an alter table to make a
change to a table structure ?

I thought maybe this is associated with  flush log/checkpoint process
happpens with BDB tables ? Can anyone confirm this ?

--Terribly confused.