I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question.

Is there anyway of finding missing values in an INT column type?
Say I have a telephone extension guide. Using the MIN() and MAX() functions
I am able to find the start and end ranges. But what about finding the
extensions that are not allocated.
At the moment I am thinking I will need to use an external script that will
query the individual entries in the array of my returned result (SELECT
extensions FROM table ORDER BY extensions). If the difference between
consecutive rows row[x] and row[y] is +1 (or negative depending on ascending
or descending ordering), then all is good. But if the result is +x, I will
need to echo an array to the screen of row[x] ++1 while row[x] < row[y].
It will take some work, but shouldn't be too hard to implement.
I guess my question is, is there a function in MySQL that will do this, or
at least help me along with it, or has anyone come across a need for this
before.

Neil Silvester
Webmaster
Heat and Control