This is a RedHat thing.  They make the RPMs.  The MySQL guys make the
tarballs.  I use the tarballs, and put them in /usr/local/mysql-version,
with a symlink from /usr/local/mysql to the "current" version.  That way,
I can have more than one version installed, and switch between them
(handy for upgrades).

safe_mysqld is the 3.x startup script, mysqld_safe if the 4.x startup
script.  safe_mysqld will start 4.x.  It's just a script, and it's
commonly hacked as part of an installation at bigger sites.

The online doc is very up to date and generally error free.  Indeed,
if you're running 3.23 (which is wise if this is a production setup),
the doc is often TOO up to date, since it describes 4.0, which is still
not ready for prime time.

My default, mysqld will itself run as mysql, unless you configure it to
do otherwise.  Look at the docs for the user options.  Set up a mysql
user, and set all permissions on the dbfiles to mysql, and there you are.

james montebello