Hello Carl,

CM> Victoria,

CM> I'm pretty new and this and have a similar need so I played with the steps
CM> you posted.  However, the revoke command did not work.  I received the error
CM> "ERROR 1141: There is not such grant defined for user 'userid' on host '%'".

As I have told, you can't set "all privileges excluding one".
Currently it's not supported.

If you set global privileges, MySQL adds rows only to table
"user" in mysql database. If you revoke grants from user on some
databases (as mysql db), you change the "db" table in mysql database
instead of table "user", but there are no records in table "db" which can determine
grants for your root user :(

--
For technical support contracts, goto https://order.mysql.com/
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Victoria Reznichenko