...perhaps a NEAR function could be added; as a config file or compile-time
option, you could define an accuracy range. Say,

         ./config --with-epsilon=0.0001

(if memory of my numerical analysis classes serves, the 'fudge factor' was
conventionally symbolized by epsilon; I suppose you could make it
--with-fudge, but this ain't no bakery) so that

         select 1.0 near 1.00009 => 1
and
         select 1.0 near 0.9995 => 0

The default would be current behavior (epsilon=0).

This would avoid statements like

         select * where x > 0.99999999 and x < 1.00000001

...just my too sense -

         -steve

At 02:33 PM 2/1/02 , James Montebello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Yes, but you need to use the decimal (fixed-point) type, not the floating
>point type.  Any program that's directly comparing FP numbers for exact
>matches is simply wrong, and certainly won't be portable, even if it works
>in one particular environment.  Fixed-point numbers CAN be compared for
>exact matches, and they can include fractional values.
>
>james montebello
>
>On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Jim Dickenson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Am I to assume that based on your response that one should never use a
> float
> > field type if you ever want to select the data?
> >
> > This causes a big problem for the way MyODBC 3.51 has been implemented. I
> > was actually debugging a problem I had in MyODBC when I ran across
> this. The
> > way MyODBC works is that is generates a native SQL statement. In my
> case the
> > statement was:
> >
> > UPDATE `junk` SET `record`=  91 WHERE record=1 AND title='This is item one'
> > AND num1=12.3 AND num2=134 AND num3=0.100 AND code='abc' AND
> > sdate='1991-11-30' AND stime='17:45:00' LIMIT 1
> >
> > Since the float compare did not work (field num1), the record I wanted
> > changed did not get changed.
> >
> > The way our software works is that it fixes the variable number (num1) to
> > the number of decimals in the constant number before the compare is done.
> > There are ways for compares to be programmed so they do work. We are using
> > computers after all.
> >

> > On 2/1/2002 2:06 PM, "Gerald Clark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > A floating point number can never be equal to 12.3.
> > > It can be close, and with rounding display as 12.3, but it
> > > won't actually be equal to 12.3.
> > > Use a decimal type instead.

| Steve Edberg                                      [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
| Database/Programming/SysAdmin                            (530)754-9127 |
| University of California, Davis             http://pgfsun.ucdavis.edu/ |