In my experience, this happens when the version of mysql you're running is
newer then the version of libraries that something on your system was
compiled with, typically, installing the new libs on your system and
recompiling php or whatever you're using to connect to the mysql server
through, be it perl, php, etc etc etc will fix this problem.

Garrett Marone
Systems Administration
Hostcentric.com