I'm hoping I can get some help here, I'm trying to get MySQL running
on YellowDog Linux 2.4.17 kernel. I've installed the mysql,
mysql-server and mysql-devel-3.23.32-1.7a rpms from my install CD.
Ran mysql_install_db then changed the group and owner on
/var/lib/mysql to root.

This is what shows up in my mysqld.log after trying to run mysql_safed

020204 16:19:56 mysqld started
020204 16:19:56 Can't start server: Bind on unix socket: Permission denied
020204 16:19:56 Do you already have another mysqld server running on
socket: /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock?
020204 16:19:56 Aborting

020204 16:19:56 mysqld ended

There is no mysql.sock on the machine nor is there a mysqld server running.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
Joe