Amendment to that last post....

I don't think the daemon is starting properly, because I can't run a
mysqladmin version - I just get a hung cursor.

Does anyone know if there's something that would be stopping mysqld from
it's definitely been started, but the fact that I can't do anything with
mysqladmin makes me think that it hasn't loaded the way it needs to.

JP

Ye, that did the trick.  I was able to get the daemon restarted using the
--skip-grant-tables & option, however now I can't connect to the
monitor.  Typing in /usr/bin/mysql I just get a hung cursor.  Same if I try
using /usr/bin/mysql -h hostname mysql

Anyone know why I can't get the monitor started?

JP