MySQL folks,

I am planning on using MySQL replication to mirror a database at
various far-flung locations. I'm anticipating that there might be a
handful of slaves, but they will only come on every few months. In
that scenario, the last slave will have a lot of catching up to do if
all slaves are started from the same snapshot. It's conceivable that
this process extends over years. In planning this, the following
related questions occur to me while reading the manual:

Can slave start from a binary log that is not the current log?

Does a slave always start from the beginning of the current binary log?

In the CHANGE MASTER TO command, what is the interpretation of the
value of MASTER_LOG_POS? I. e., how does one know what number to
provide here?

Any help would be appreciated.

  -- Mark

--
Mark M. Ito, Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility
12000 Jefferson Ave., Mail Stop 12H, Newport News, VA 23606