You don't want to use LIKE in mysql - or have you not read about LIKE in
the fine mysql manual??

If you use LIKE you will also need to use a % sign signify which bit is the
variable bit.  This is because mysql allows you to say if the variable bit
is at the start or the end or both.  LIKE 'banana%' would give you what you
want, but it sounds like you should read the manual a bit more.

cheers,

noel