I am attempting to combine COUNT, GROUP BY, and LEFT
JOIN.. Adopting the theme on
http://www.mysql.com/doc/C/o/Counting_rows.html my
goal is to display only species/sex combinations that
occur more than once. Additionally I wish to include
the count for each row, and some keyed field from
another table..

So I added a separate table "owner" containing foreign
key "petID" and the field "zipcode"..

A couple rows of output might look like (species=dog
sex=male animalcount=3 zipcode=55555) (species=dog
sex=female animalcount=2 zipcode=55555). There would
be no rows with a count of 1, and zipcode can repeat..

The following statement unfortunately includes zipcode
when determining uniqueness. It's as close as I've
come! Any suggestions?:

SELECT species, sex, zip, COUNT(*) as animalcount FROM
pet LEFT JOIN owner ON pet.petID = owner.petID GROUP
By species, sex HAVING animalcount > 1;