On Wednesday 13 February 2002 12:10 pm, Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:

> Our kernel people love them - Athlon goodness, no VIA chipset. Good
> performance, good stability.

Note that the Via kt266a (_not_ SMP chipset) is quite good these days.

If I was building a dual-processor machine, there's no doubt I'd go for an
Athlon system at the moment.  For a quad-processor machine, I'd look much
more closely at the P3 Xeon chip (the P4 Xeon has no 4-processor motherboards
afaik).

ObMySQL:  Make sure you are CPU-limited before considering SMP machines.  If
you are hard drive limited, you aren't likely to see any advantage going for
more CPUs.  SELECT MySQL PostGreSQL, UPDATE, INSERT, terrorism, world trade
centre, replication, etc.