Takacs,

TI> Wed, 13 Feb 2002 15:02:01 PM, you wrote:

>> TI> After the default mysql-3.23-47 installation,
>> TI> there are two entries in the mysql.user table
>> TI> where the User and Password fields are empty.
>> TI> I'd like to know what is the purpose of these
>> TI> records?
>> TI> The first has a 'localhost' entry in the Host field
>> TI> and the second one has the 'hostname'.
>> TI> Can I delete them, or will this crash the database?
>>
>> These are default records in mysql.user and all priv_types are
>> set to 'N'. These rows are corresponding to default user in mysql.

TI> OK.
TI> But who is that 'default user'?
TI> As I know just the root and an anonymous user's created as
TI> the initial MySQL accounts.
TI> At least I've found it in the doc;

TI> "An anonymous user is created that can do anything with databases that have
TI> a name of 'test' or starting with 'test_'. Connections must be made from the
TI> local host. This means any local user can connect without a password and be
TI> treated as the anonymous user."

TI> So it would be that default user what you wrote about?
Yes.
TI> Is it like scott/tiger in ORACLE?
TI> We don't have any real database, named 'test' or 'test_*', just
TI> what the MySQL installation set.
TI> Can I delete that default user and 'test' database from our public DB,
TI> just after the installation?

Yes, you can delete them.

TI> Whatsoever, what is the purpose of that default database named 'test'?
TI> I think anyone can create a database if she/he wants to try mysql.

If a user has grants to create databases, he can create one. But i
would advise you to be careful with global privileges.

TI> "This means any local user can connect without a password and be treated as
TI> the anonymous user."

TI> I'm afraid we don't need this feature.

Anonymous user has privileges by default only in 'test' database. If
you drop 'test' db, he looses all the rights.

--
For technical support contracts, goto https://order.mysql.com/
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Victoria Reznichenko