Hi,
After a couple helpful answers to my post, I realized I wasn't going
crazy, but that the root probably had a password and I just didn't know
it.  Found this documentation which wasn't very clear except for the
comments at the bottom of the page.

http://www.mysql.com/doc/R/e/Resetting_permissions.html

1. /usr/local/mysql/bin/safe_mysqld --skip-grant-tables &

2. /usr/local/mysql

3. use mysql;

4. update user set password = password('.......') where user = 'root'
and     host='localhost';

5. Stop and Start the MySQL server.

Thanks very much for the help.