How would you do:
set field='Jim said, "that's crazy."'

you would have to escape the quote somehow.  The  '\' is the escaper
character.
set field='Jim said, "that\'s crazy."'

That means hat the escape character must also be escaped.

Check the manual for the section on special characters.

Most languages that support MySQL also have a function that can [
should] be used
to escape all strings before they are inserted or matched in a query.