In that case, i would highly recommend using mysqldump to backup your
databases.  Simply compressing the actual DB's could give you tables in
inconsistent states, UNLESS you first shut down your DB server, then run the
backup.

Something to think about.

j----- k-----

On Saturday 16 February 2002 15:26, George Labuschagne wrote:
> Sorry, I forgot to ask the folowing as well. When considering the amount
> by which text can be compressed as compared to other data types, would
> it be better to store numerical values as text or to store them as
> integer/float values. If the db needs to be compressed and backed up on
> a bi-weekly basis.
>
> George

> would probably be very dependent on the data within the database.  if
> it's
> a lot of text data, then very compressable, as text typically
> compresses
> nicely.  if you store a bunch of binary data (images or something),
> then
> probably not as much...
>
> tar your mysql dir and gzip it, or gzip -9 or bzip2 if you're looking
> for
> more compression.  test it out.
>
> -tcl.
>
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2002, George Labuschagne wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > How compressible is a typical MySQL database? Is this more dependent
>
> on
>
> > the type of columns used i.e. a lot of text columns as opposed to a
>
> lot
>
> > of columns containing integer values?
> >
> > The uncompressed size of the database is in the region of about
>
> 800-MB.
>
> > Also will it suffice to only compress the specific sub-directory
> > pertaining to the relevant database below /mysql/ ?
> >
> > George
> > mysql, sql, query

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > Trouble unsubscribing? Try:

Joshua Kugler, Information Services Director
Associated Students of the University of Alaska Fairbanks
[EMAIL PROTECTED], 907-474-7601