When I am logged in to my Linux system as root mysqladmin works
correctly.  i.e. finds mysql.sock in the correct location.

When I am logged in as a normal user I get this error:

Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock.  blah blah...  (This is *not* the correct
mysql.sock)

The issue is that my.cnf indicates /var/tmp/mysql.sock for both client
and mysqld.  And... it works fine when I am logged in as root.  As a
user it's trying to use the wrong mysql.sock file.  Any idea how to fix
this?  How I achieved the screwed up state?

BTW, if I use --socket=/var/tmp/mysql.sock it works.  I hesitate to
consider it a longtem solution.

Brad Emerson