On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 01:52:41PM -0600, Melvin wrote:
> Hi:
>     I'm trying to create an image database of about 130,000 records.  Right
> now I have only the filenames in a CHAR Field (the records are of fixed
> size).  I read those images a lot.  Is it better to leave it this way or to
> move all the image data to a blob fields?

you are better off with filenames.

>     I already tried to use the blob field but it was up to 100 times slower.
> Is there a way I can optimize this?

with some operating systems having 130 000 files in a directory
might be sub-optimal. you might want to create a 'comb' of directory.

i.e 1/1/,1/2/,..,1/9/,..,9/1/,..,9/9/

this will also help if you want to share your datas between several
hard-drives.

>     I'm using mysql-max 3.23.47 on Windows XP with Athlon XP 1800+, 512 RAM
> and 60Gb 5400 revs/s IDE Hard Disk

my guess is that your Athlon spends all the time waiting for the HD. You
would probably get better performances with 4 400Mhz processors at about
the same price, and 2 HDs, if the database is used by several users at
the same time.

what exactly do you want to optimize? time? space?

nobody will be able to tell you anything unless you can do some profiling
of your application to pinpoint where the bottlenecks are.

--
Laurent Oget, Ph.D.     [EMAIL PROTECTED]        http://oget.net
Senior Engineer         Zvolve Systems Inc      http://zvolve.com