On Tuesday 19 February 2002 00:48, Todd Goldenbaum wrote:
> hi,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to do a double-outer join in
> mysql.  by that I mean outer-joining on two tables instead of one (both
> from the same original table).  in other words, whereas a normal outer join
> might go something like this:
>
> select b.date, u.name from billing b outer join users u on
> b.user_id=u.user_id
>
> ...I'm trying to do something more like this:
>
> select b.date, u.name, l.city from billing b outer join users u on
> b.user_id = u.user_id, locations l on b.location_id = l.location_id
>
> (that syntax is bogus) but does anyone know if this is even possible?
>
> thanks,
> todd

As I recall you should be able to do

SELECT * FROM a LEFT JOIN b ON a.x=b.x LEFT JOIN c ON c.z=b.z WHERE ...

and if I understand you correctly you get what you want (which is ALL records
in A even if they have no corresponding b's or c's. NOTE that the second ON
might want to be a comparison between columns in a and c, not b and c
depending on exactly what you need (IE in my example a missing b value would
result in no returned c for that a, even if one existed). You might even need
something like "ON c.z=b.z OR a.y=c.y" depending on your needs.