Thanks for your reply. But You can find something from
 http://www.mysql.com/doc/I/B/IBM-AIX.html :

"If you are using gcc or egcs to compile MySQL, you must use the
-fno-exceptions flag, as the exception handling in gcc/egcs is not thread
safe! (This is tested with egcs 1.1.)" And it also says the mysqld will
crash radmonly without -fno-exceptions flag. I wonder recent gcc maybe can
go on without the flags?

I am using orcc to compile mysql. Can you tell me how gcc improve speed
via avoiding exceptions? I mean if the source code contains throw-catch
stuff, how gcc avoid that? And why throw-catch stuff is not performance
friendly (just because the exception handling mechanism? but usually
exceptions are very rare, there is no need to avoid exception, from this
point of view)?

thanks.
                                Peng