Hi,

I am trying to extract blob data from a query using the C API functions
(actually I am using Delphi).  I understand the structure of the result set
and need to know the length of the blob field to extract it.

As far as I can tell the only way to find the length of the fields is by
using the mysql_fetch_lengths function.  However I can't use this function
reliably as I need random access to my results.  ie - I use
mysql_store_result followed by mysql_data_seek and mysql_row_seek to move
around the results.

mysql_fetch_lengths only seems to work if the table is accessed sequentially
using the mysql_fetch_field function first.

Am I missing something here? Surely there must be a simple answer.  At the
moment the only solution I have is to scan the whole results set and cache
the lengths before allowing random access.  This is terrible waste of
resource as the client software must already have this information stored.

I hope someone can help quickly before I tear all my hair out.

Mike Brickman
Radical Solutions Limited