Hi,

I wonder if anyone can offer me some advice with this one:

I have a table called 'iq_data' holding just a primary key and a field
called 'iq_data'.

+--------+------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| Field  | Type       | Null | Key | Default | Extra          |
+--------+------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| iqid   | int(11)    |      | PRI | NULL    | auto_increment |
| iqdata | mediumtext |      |     | NULL    |                |
+--------+------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+

'iq_data' contains the contents of a plain text file in the following
format:

        .0000010     .1083649E+03     .2186916E+02
        .0013470     .1993729E+03     .2738670E+02
        ==> + approx. 100-1000 more lines.

After I insert data into the table, I need to get the iqid that was
generated. One solution is to do something like:

  SELECT iqid from iq_data where iqdata="<the contents of the file>";
  // ^ this will give me the correct answer, but it may be a
  // little inefficient as there may be thousands of records, and the
  // search string is very large

        or

  SELECT iqid from iq_id order by iqid (and get the last iqid generated)
  // ^ querying like this immediately after inserting data to the table,
  // but assumes that another record has not yet been added

A problem will arise if  say, data is inserted by user 1, and then by
user 2, and then the iqid for user1 is requested, but the iqid for user2
will be returned.

So...

Is there any way I can e.g. insert the data into the table and return
the value of the PK that was generated in one statement? If not, of the
2 solutions above what is more efficient? Is there are more elegant
solution?

Thank you very much for your time; hope someone can help ;-)

- Best regards,

Lee Reilly

</My SQL query>