Hi Geoff,

> Apols for being dense but I have basic problem with
> MySQL for Win98.

Perhaps not "dense", just baffled by 'new' terminology.
You appear to have downloaded the source code.
If you want to download MySQL and not have the extra, compile, step to negotiate, then
find the *-win.zip
option.
In *nix-speak these downloadable/directly installable files are called "binaries".

Regards,
=dn