Ok. I do indeed have /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh
And oops I do have /usr/local/libexec/mysqld

Are these supposed to be started up automatically?

I tried to run /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh start
        TMCBSD101# mysql-server.sh start
        mysql-server.sh: Command not found.
        TMCBSD101# ./mysql-server.sh start
        TMCBSD101# ps -ax
        TMCBSD101# mysql
        ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/tmp/mysql.sock' (61)

mysql-server.sh
        #!/bin/sh

        case "$1" in
                start)
                        if [ -x /usr/local/bin/safe_mysqld ]; then
                                /usr/local/bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql >
/dev/null & && echo -n ' mysqld'
                        fi
                        ;;
                stop)
                        /usr/bin/killall mysqld > /dev/null 2>&1 && echo -n
' mysqld'
                        ;;
                *)
                        echo ""
                        echo "Usage: `basename $0` { start | stop }"
                        echo ""
                        exit 64
                        ;;
        esac

so I tried
        TMCBSD101# /usr/local/bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql > /dev/null & &&
echo -n ' mysqld'
        [1] 503
         mysqldTMCBSD101# mysql
        ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/tmp/mysql.sock' (61)
        [1]  + Done                          /usr/local/bin/safe_mysqld
--user=mysql > /dev/null

I am assuming this script is automatically added into a daemon somehows

        /usr/local/bin/safe_mysqld & -user=mysql > /dev/null

will load the mysql server. So why is this not performed at start up?

And if this script is used, what is mysqld used for??