Neil,

Thank you for giving me that idea.  That exact syntax did not
work with "=" but using "like" worked well.  Problem solved.

Thanks,
  John

mysql> select availability FROM application;
| availability                                              |
| weekdays,weekends,mornings,afternoons,evenings,overnights |
| weekdays,weekends,mornings,afternoons,evenings,overnights |
| weekdays,weekends,mornings,afternoons,evenings,overnights |
| weekdays,weekends,mornings,afternoons,evenings,overnights |
| weekdays,weekends,mornings,afternoons,evenings,overnights |
| weekdays,weekends,mornings,afternoons,evenings,overnights |
| weekdays,weekends,mornings,afternoons,evenings,overnights |
| weekends,mornings                                         |
| weekends,mornings                                         |
| weekdays,weekends,mornings,afternoons,evenings,overnights |
| weekdays,weekends,mornings,afternoons,evenings,overnights |
| weekdays,weekends,mornings,afternoons,evenings,overnights |
| weekdays,weekends,mornings,afternoons,evenings,overnights |
| weekdays,weekends,mornings,afternoons,evenings,overnights |
14 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql>

mysql> select availability from application where availability =
'%afternoons%';
Empty set (0.00 sec)

mysql>

mysql> select availability from application where availability like
'%afternoons%';
| availability                                              |
| weekdays,weekends,mornings,afternoons,evenings,overnights |
| weekdays,weekends,mornings,afternoons,evenings,overnights |
| weekdays,weekends,mornings,afternoons,evenings,overnights |
| weekdays,weekends,mornings,afternoons,evenings,overnights |
| weekdays,weekends,mornings,afternoons,evenings,overnights |
| weekdays,weekends,mornings,afternoons,evenings,overnights |
| weekdays,weekends,mornings,afternoons,evenings,overnights |
| weekdays,weekends,mornings,afternoons,evenings,overnights |
| weekdays,weekends,mornings,afternoons,evenings,overnights |
| weekdays,weekends,mornings,afternoons,evenings,overnights |
| weekdays,weekends,mornings,afternoons,evenings,overnights |
| weekdays,weekends,mornings,afternoons,evenings,overnights |
12 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql>